Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chippie Tales


People ask all of the time how Chip is.  I thought I was long overdue with an update on her.  YES, I said HER.  Chip is a SHE.  For those of you who don't know her story, you can read about it here.  When you are finished with that, you can read all the rest here

Chip is thriving.  She has a beautiful coat.  She runs MILES on her wheel daily.  She still gets up at 7:00 am and she still goes to bed at 7:00 pm.  She loves walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dried papaya, bananas, catelope, honeydew and sunflower seeds.  She also loves Fruit Loops, Ritz crackers and icing, however, she only gets those as a treat every now an then.

I don't try to handle her, she has become increasingly aggressive as she has gotten older.  I don't think she would ever try to harm me.  She just totally charges the cage when you come near it.  It has made cleaning her cage a challenge.  She has escaped a number of times.  She is totally content and happy to be back in her cage later, I think she just charges the cage and falls out, then runs around like an idiot.  I am certain if I just left the door open, she would return to her cage eventually, but i don't want the other animals to hurt her by accident and I cenrtainly don't want her using my home as her bathroom. 

I still hold on to the hope that I can release her some day, but I know that isn't an option.  I can still dream about it though.  I really believe that if I did, she would try to get back into the house.

It's been wonderful getting to know a chipmunk, up close and personal.  I've always loved those creatures, I know have a deeper and stronger appreciation and love for them now.

No comments: