Monday, September 11, 2006

Update on Mom

Thursday, September 7, Mom was released from Allegheny General Hospital after 31 days to a long-term acute care facility in Monroeville. She had a set back three weeks ago and I hadn't been able to communicate with her since. It was like the lights were on, but no one was home, which is typical with brain injuries. The new facility is really nice. I went to visit her on Saturday. I sat down and started talking to her. I started to tell her about Goldstock and how much fun Riley had. The most amazing thing happened. As soon as I mentioned Riley's name, she got this big smile on her face and was really looking into my eyes. From there, I asked her all types of questions and she answered with head nods and tried to talk. She has a trachea in, so speaking is not that easy. This is such a huge step! I can't wait for her to get stronger so that she can be put into a wheelchair and I can bring Riley for a visit. Dogs are only allowed in the lobby and on the grounds. If mentioning his name gets that reaction out of her, I can't imagine what feeling is golden coat will do. I keep hoping and praying that things get better. It is such a shame for someone that is 59 to be in this condition.

No comments: