Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow-mageddon

Once again, they have canceled The Snowball, the annual Christmas dance for Ford City High School. They cancelled it Friday afternoon, based on weather forecasts that called for one to three inches of snow for today.

Three years ago, all four local schools had their dance on the same night, Ford City, Kittanning and West Shamokin. Same thing, they cancelled on Friday afternoon. With all four schools on one night lots of businesses took a hit. My salon did, hair salons, florists. It was bad and it was a week before Christmas.

This year wasn't so bad, it was only one school, Ford City, but still bad for the hair salons and florists. My salon was blessed. We only had one cancellation, the rest all came and those with appointments today are still planning to come. With nails, you can still get them done for the holidays. Hair, not so much and with flowers, well, those aren't going to keep.

While my business was fortunate, I really feel for the other businesses. People don't realize that hair stylists work usually on commission. So if they don't work, they don't get paid. To accommodate all these appointments, they had to pass up a lot of other appointments. They are now left with an empty book and an empty pocketbook less than a week before Christmas.

I've heard people say that they don't think they should have to pay for flowers because it's not their fault the dance was cancelled. Well it isn't the florist's fault either. They shelled out a shit ton of money ordering flowers in, paid extra labor wages to prepare the bouquets. These flowers will not keep until Christmas to be sold as arrangements then. They will be half dead by then.

Those who kept their appointments with me pretty much all said that they picked up their flowers and one girl said she was still keeping her hair appointment, she was going to get her hair trimmed instead. I really applaud these girl and especially their parents. They are doing the RIGHT THING.

Seriously, we live in Western PA, it snows here! In my 42 years of life, I remember the Snowball being cancelled twice now, the two times mentioned. I remember going to this dance in two feet of snow in the 80's. Guess what, we all survived because our parents took us. It's a shame that we live in a time that people would sue if something happened to their kid attending a dance when it was snowing. Seriously. Be a parent and decide if it's safe for your child. If it's not then decide to either drive them yourself or keep them at home.

Again, I have been blessed and I am very thankful for it. The dance is supposed to be rescheduled in late January. I will bet my left kidney that it will be January 30, which is my birthday, which I will be in Punta Cana. Guaranteed, this is how the Armstrong School District, the ORIGINAL Asshole Parade works.

Have fun in that three inches of snow everyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree I always remember going to the snowball in the snow!!!I was fully prepared to drive my son to the dance. The dance was cancelled but the basketball team practiced. It makes no sense.