Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bark For Life!

I had originally planned to take just Travis to Bark For Life, which is a Relay For Life fundraiser that you can honor your canine companion and participate with them. I honestly thought I wouldn’t be able to handle both Riley and Travis together. I was wrong. They were so well behaved; I didn’t need my seven year old boyfriend, Dawson’s help.

We left Ford City at noon, headed to Rural Valley for the event. We met up with Sherry, Alexis and pooches Crosby and Kya at Sheetz and made our way to the track. It was funny to watch Crosby with is head hanging out of the window the entire trip!

Once at the track, we unloaded all of the dogs and it was at this point, I was surprised how easy my two were to handle on a double leash. I totally didn’t give them the credit that they deserved. Amanda and Dawson arrived with the ever, cool, Ringo and our party of five adults and five dogs was complete.

After the “Meet and Greet” session, we got everyone registered, got our 50/50 tickets and enter some dogs in games. The dogs all got bandanas, a Frisbee, a water bowl, bottle of water and the every necessary, poop bag! Luckily, I didn’t have to use a poop bag!

The event started with a blessing of the dogs. The walk then started with cancer survivors first, both human and canine. Canine survivors received a special gift! The boys really enjoyed the walk. Dawson was handling Riley, since I describe him as a “Marshmallow”, really no trouble at all. Dawson quickly became attached to Travis and ended up taking him around the track two more times throughout the day!

Riley and Ringo bond during a shady moment in the pavilion.  It was a hot one!

When it was game time, Travis and I played Musical Sit, which is like musical chairs but when the music stops, the dog must sit. We made it three rounds until he hesitated and we were disqualified. I then put him in the jumping contest. Travis has never jumped anything on command, so it was no surprise when he refused to jump the pole and knocked it down. We still had fun, even though we were losers!

I think the funniest part of the day was the 50/50 drawing. They tied every ticket to a doggie treat and scattered them on the lawn. The plan was to have a dog pick the winner. Well, after about six dogs wondered around HUNDREDS of bones Crosby finally licked one and that was declared the winner. Not sure what kind of treats those were, but the dogs pretty much gave them two paws down!

It was a fun afternoon with my boys and other dog lovers. If a Bark For Life is happening in your area, I highly encourage you to hit it up!

1 comment:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Looks like everyone had fun!
I have never taken my girls to any events before. June is skiddish around people so it would be very difficult.