Thursday, October 8, 2009

Move Over Punxy Phil

Travis was eyeing up a little, fuzzy, black and brown caterpillar today. I rescued the caterpillar before Travis could eat it. I thought that it was strange to see one this time of year. When I think of caterpillars, I think spring.


I came inside, hopped on the Internet to see if I could find any information on this cute little creature. Turns out it's a Woolly Bear caterpillar and it's totally normal to see them this time of year, they are actually a sign of fall. According to The Ohio State University article the Woolly Bear caterpillar has long been a forecaster of winter weather.

"According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, the longer the middle brown band, the milder and shorter the coming winter; the shorter the brown band, the longer and more severe winter will be."

Well, judging by this little guy that I found, I would say winter isn't going to be all that bad.

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

Ruh-roh. I found one this morning and it had a short brown band. We have a conflicting forecast. Oh no!

The Purple Pinkie said...

Well, I am going on a hunt this weekend and majority rules!!!!!!