Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Unfinished Projects

Last week was a major crafting week for me. Well it was actually last Tuesday, not the whole week. I've been wanting to make a shop apron for some time now. I haven't sewed in a few years so I initially asked my friend Annoyed Angel to sew it for me. We were unable to hook up after PodCamp, so I thought, what the heck, I may give it a whirl.

While picking up some sewing supplies that I needed, I remembered that I had started a rag quilt years ago. I dug out the box that had all the supplies inside and realized that I had it all cut out, batting cut and pinned together. I just needed to machine quilt each block, sew all blocks together, snip edges, wash and dry.

I did this all last Tuesday. This is a very easy quilt to do, you just cut squares of fabric, then cut batting in squares that are one inch shorter, I screwed up and mine were 3/4 inch, but it was no big deal. You then pin two squares of fabric with the wrong sides facing, with a piece of batting in between. I machine quilted in an X pattern on all the squares.


Once you figure out what your final pattern will be, you sew the squares together using a 1 inch, or in my case, 3/4 inch seam allowance and have all the seams facing the back. You then cut each each seam ever 1/4 inch. This is what it looked like right before I washed and dried the quilt.

After the quilt was washed and dried, the seams all frayed and fluffed up. The more you wash and dry it the more it will fluff. I thought it turned out fabulous!

Since I was all warmed up in the sewing department, I decided to tackle the shop apron. It turned out great. I hope to get someone to snap a photo of me wearing it in the salon soon so that I can post it.

3 comments:

pghrugbyangel said...

yay!! so glad you finished the quilt. Sorry I couldn't help you with the apron, but glad you took it on yourself!

I still have a quilt to finish - and the baby is coming soon, as in sooner than we thought! Gotta finish that this week! And I have a dog bed to work on. Oy!!

nance said...

DAMN, that quilt is so freaking nice and I kinda hate you for being all crafty and actually finishing stuff. Hee!

PS: Sorry about your mittens.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I envy you!
One of my co-workers made one like yours, in burgandy/fall color, last year.